Steve Walden is a marketing-savvy senior execucutive, a successful entrepreneur and a private-equity investor. His chief passion is building business from scratch to multimillion dollar levels.
As Executive Director of the IBM/Sears joint venture called Prodigy, he helped launch the first consumer online service and grew it to a revenue level exceeding $100 million. This pioneering effort required the invention of new marketing techniques which are commonplace today such as introducing software both to the OEM and to retail channels. At one point his software became the largest selling brand in the retail market.
At BellSouth (now AT&T) he was a Vice President in the online service division, where his team launched not only BellSouth.net but also several other related businesses, including a webhosting business that grew to several hundred million dollars in value.
Later, he took over the role of Chief Executive Officer of a failing technology company and led it to a highly successful turnaround. He completely revitalized the business, leading it into new markets with new products and new energy. Shareholders received major cash payouts as a result of this success.
Earlier in his career, as a senior vice president at Grey Direct in New York (a subsidiary of Grey Advertising), he learned how to grow and manage profitably a big-ticket fee-for-service business. The agency billed in excess of $120 million, entirely through fee-generating projects and relationships.
Currently, he serves on the Boards of multiple companies and nonprofit organizations and, as an angel investor, analyzes market opportunities, evaluates management teams and risks his own money on companies with growth potential.
- Slingshot Product Development Group – Lawrenceville, GA – Chief Executive Officer
- Walden Associates – Atlanta, GA – President
- Netsurfer Corp. – Atlanta, GA – President and CEO
- Innotrac Corp. – Duluth, GA – Vice President, Electronic Commerce
- BellSouth – Atlanta, GA – Divisional Vice President
- Prodigy Services Company (IBM/Sears joint venture) – White Plains, NY – Executive Director
- Grey Direct (Subsidiary of Grey Advertising) – New York, NY – Senior Vice President
- Time Warner – New York, NY –
- Director of Marketing, Manhattan Cable TV
- Director of Marketing, Warner Amex Cable Communications (Warner/American Express joint venture)
- Additional management positions with Time, Sports Illustrated and Home Box Office
Education: Bachelor Degree: University of Pennsylvania
Master’s Degree: Columbia University
Additional postgraduate work: Columbia University